Wednesday, May 20, 2009

If you could see the future...

If you had a crystal ball, would you want to know your future? What would you ask? How much would you really want to know? Would you only ask about specific things? Would you want to only know the good, or would you want to know the bad too? Would knowing your future or about specific events take some of the wonder and excitement out of life by eliminating the surprise? Would you spend your time so wrapped up in the worry about a specific even that you would quit living for today? Would it alter your life course to the point that the predictions for you became invalid?

I would not want to know anything about my future if I were given the chance for prediction. I would perhaps want to know about paths I should follow or signs to look for, but nothing specific. There are times that not knowing what will happen, or what to expect is frustrating and frightening. There are times when I think I want to know the future regarding a specific part of my life that I may be struggling with or unsure about, but in the end, I think its best to just not know. I think knowing too much about what is going to happen in the future would make it nearly impossible to live in the Now. The Now is a very valuable part of our life; it is what we are currently experiencing and where we currently live. There are lessons to be learned in the Now to prepare us for what will happen in our future. I think we could become so focused on the future that we would miss much of the present. We may not be able to fully enjoy people, or places or events that are currently ours to enjoy if we knew the outcome in the end.

I may have an insatiable curiosity about many things. I may think I want to know it all, but in the end, I only want to know what is mine to know for the time being. I want to live in the Now and not try and live out the future. The future will be here soon enough, and then it will be the present and I will take that day just like I took today….one day at a time. I have my own goals, dreams and desires for my future and I do hope that some of them are realized for me, but I will take the anticipation of not knowing for now what is going to happen next.

No comments:

Post a Comment