Saturday, April 11, 2009

What kind of friend are you?

Through a series of events, I have been thinking about friendships a lot. What kind of friend I am to others, and also what kind of friends do I wish to surround myself with. I was thinking about friends I have had both past and present to see if there was a "type" of friend that I continually allowed into my circle. I believe all people are brought into our lives for a reason. Some people are in your life for their benefit only, some of them are brought into your life to help you with specific life lessons, and others are life long TRUE friends. I believe friends should enhance your life, not control your life or bring you down. I believe friends should above all be trustworthy. Trust is a complicated, fragile thing. Trust has to be earned, is easily broken and hard to regain. Are you the type of friend that others can count on and trust? Do you have your friend’s best interest in mind, or do you have your own gain as your goal? I think friends should be gentle, but honest if the situation requires it. I think friends should listen with out judgment. I think if your going to share your deepest most intimate thoughts and feelings with a friend, they should be worthy of such a privilege. I have had a wide variety of friends through out my life. I have been friends with the "needy", who tend to need constant reassurance. These friends only think about themselves and are a lot of work and are never long term. They deplete those around them of their precious energy and compassion. I have been friends with the "doormat", who tend to just adopt and agree with what ever the person they are with believes and desires. Not having their own thoughts and opinions, they tend to not be able to contribute much to the friendship, even though they also tend to believe they do everything because they are a good friend. This friend also tends to be short term, as eventually, most people get bored and would rather be around people who have their own personality to contribute to the friendship. I have been friends with the "controller", who tend to think their way is the only way. They often mean well, but have little to no acceptance of others thoughts, opinions, feelings and ideas. They often are over bearing with their efforts to help and offended when a person stands their ground and makes choices that are right for them, rather than taking the well meaning advice that the controller "offers". I believe we all have all of these friendship traits within us and at times and with circumstances, we all show these traits to some degree. I wish to surround myself with positive, strong people who know themselves well and who are both willing to contribute to the friendship as well as accept mine. I have had my share of temporary friends. They were not necessarily bad people or even bad friends, but lacked the traits required to maintain a friendship long term. I have both good and bad memories of such friends. Some I miss others I do not. I am a loyal, trustworthy, compassionate friend. I am the friend you can confide in. I am the friend you can depend on. I will always be honest with you. I have my own thoughts, opinions and ideas and I am not afraid to express when I do not agree with yours. However, I do this without judgment. I think our unique differences are what make friends and life interesting. I wish to have a well rounded group of friends with their own unique personalities that enhance and enrich my life through their own personalities and perceptions. I also hope to be that kind of friend to others in return.

No comments:

Post a Comment