Monday, April 27, 2009

Domesticated Goddess

Yes, I am a highly domesticated creature. I love cooking, cleaning and folding laundry (although, I can openly admit I draw the line at ironing. I avoid it at all costs! LOL). I love the home arts. I make soap from scratch, I love to garden, although I have only been able to try container gardening so far, and I want to learn to quilt. I love the feeling of clean bedding and the smell of freshly scrubbed floors. It’s therapeutic to clean and clear my space. It allows my mind to focus on more creative and pleasant things. This is just part of who I am.

I recently read a book that tells women NOT to do these things. That we must show our equality to the male species and that doing these things gives the impression that we are boring creatures and gives us a homely vibe. I don’t agree. I don’t do these things for any man, I never have. I do these things for my own sense of well being. There is no shame in a clean kept home that makes friends and families feel welcome. I am not homely, and the last I checked, I was not boring. I do not find myself hovering for hours over Martha Stewart magazines and I have no intentions of doing anything that is uncomfortable or unnatural for me just to impress anyone else. I have no need to impress anyone but myself. Take me for what I am or leave me the hell alone. Now THAT’S the difference between being homely and being a Goddess!

I think too much emphasis is placed on what we should or shouldn’t do instead of nurturing the person that we ARE. Too many people are trying to be someone they are not to gain the affections or attentions of someone else. No wonder so many people feel lost and confused with out a strong sense of self. Every magazine seems to have some article on who they are supposed to be or how they are supposed to act, instead of focusing on loving them selves for who they already are. Why can’t we just have a sense of self love and appreciate our own inner beauty. We are each unique in our life experiences and perceptions. We all have our own life experiences; we should embrace them and realize how far we have come in our own personal lives. How boring would it be if everyone reading these articles adapted the suggestions and tried to emulate the author’s perceptions of how we should behave? I would rather stand for something I believe in than to bend my will to what someone else thinks is a better standard of living. I find most of these articles shallow and offensive. I am more than skin deep, and I hope it shows!

No comments:

Post a Comment