Saturday, July 11, 2009

I am Student. I am Teacher.

I often kid with people that I have an unquenchable thirst for knowledge. I want to know everything about everything. There is a distinct valid truth to this statement. I learn much from those and the world around me every day. We live in a magical place that is constantly evolving, shifting and changing on us. One minute we can be happy and secure on our journey through life, the next we can be living in fear facing our greatest challenge, unsure of which direction to take. It makes no difference what your age, experience or education. We all have something to learn from each other. Like wise, we have a responsibility to teach others what we have learned. What is the point of knowledge if it is not passed on? I know some people assume that if they keep all their knowledge to themselves that this in some ways gives them power or makes them feel superior to those around them. In the end, it just makes them selfish and greedy, ruled by ego.

We all have wisdom and knowledge that’s of value to those around us. Think of it this way. When researchers decide to test a theory, they do not only explore one option. Instead they call on the experts around them for every case scenario they can possibly come up with. They compile this knowledge and experience to either prove, or disprove their hypothesis. While your experience, or the experience of others, may not fit every situation it doesn’t make your sharing your experience or knowledge invaluable. Just like the research scientists, they don’t only publish the successes, but the failures and the results of those failures as well. We can learn much from what works for others, as well as what doesn’t.

I am Student. I am constantly learning and seeking knowledge. I am Teacher. I share the knowledge and experiences I have with others. I am comfortable in both roles.

No comments:

Post a Comment