Friday, March 27, 2009

Routines and Rituals

I recently attended a class that discussed quadrant based fears and challenges. As the discussion progressed, the topic was addressed on ways to grow through these opportunities. As I reflect on the different comments that were shared, my own thoughts are emerging in ways to apply some of what I learned to my own life on a daily basis. I realize that recognition is a powerful tool. If I am able to recognize the challenges that I face as opportunities for learning and growth, perhaps it will better enable me to go through these struggles with a more positive outlook.

I am also thinking a lot more about meditation, routines and rituals as a daily practice. It would seem to me, if I can start my day with some positive reflection about what I hope to achieve on a personal level at the beginning of each day that I will be better equipped to handle the unforeseen challenges that we are all faced with on a daily basis.

If I start my day with a meditation practice to prepare myself for the day, it would also then seem to make sense to end my day with some quiet reflection as well. Both of these rituals would allow me the opportunity to see my growth progress, as well as areas that could use a little more of my attention.

I think self awareness is important here. I think without it, we take a lot of the good things that come our way for granted, and miss opportunities that we are given daily to learn. Life lessons will continue to be handed to us, why not embrace them and learn from them to enrich our lives and become stronger within ourselves? We will have challenges, that’s a given. If we can accept them with grace and move with them, instead of fighting against them, it would seem it would make those uncomfortable, stressful times less chaotic and hard. I would hope that it would encourage a more optimistic attitude through both the good times as well as the challenging ones.

As I ponder these thoughts, I am still uncertain as to what routines and rituals I will implement into my day. I want them to be intentional. I know my time is valuable; that every second wasted is a second lost that can never be regained. I think that is part of the reason it’s so important to live with intent and purpose. I believe I am worth the time and effort spent on these rituals to reflect on things and enrich my life.

One of the things I used to do when I lived in the Midwest was have a cup of tea at night before bed, usually with a good book. I have fond memories of that time as my children were all very little and usually my days were filled with the joys and chaos of being a mother. I remember as the evening drew near, the anticipation I would feel as my "quiet time" approached! I know a lot of parents can relate to that. For me that was a nightly ritual. To this day I still take a bubble bath at night to quiet my mind, and still with a good book! I still remember the positive affect that this simplistic routine had on me after all these years. I can only imagine the power routines or rituals could hold if I added some self reflection into simple, enjoyable moments such as these.

No comments:

Post a Comment